(Want to get the Daily Bee delivered to your Inbox? Sign up here.)
This is that time of year when the impossible seems to be happening: Summer, the season we wait for all year, seems to be slipping away. *Sigh. Fortunately, we still have September and October, a.k.a. the best months to be in the Hamptons. Shhh. Don’t tell anyone.
Another sure sign the season is concluding: The Hampton Classic, the prestigious end-of-summer event in Bridgehampton, pictured above, starts on Sunday. There will be horses and assault weapons. Let us know how it goes.
Apparently there is a fight this weekend. Regardless of who wins, they’ll still be making more money than you. Watch it (Saturday, 9 p.m.) at any number of local joints. Indian Wells Tavern in Amagansett has been planning for it for a long time. Our cat is headed to Vegas to put money on Mayweather.
Did someone say catch of the day?
Yum. Fourteen chefs from Barcelona Wine Bar & Restaurant, a national chain, will be cast adrift Wednesday Sept. 6 off the coast of Montauk, and not allowed to return until they’ve brought back enough fluke, striped bass and bluefish to grill for fans at Navy Beach restaurant. There will also be local produce, wine and beer, making this one localvore extravaganza. See, Tumbleweed Tuesday is nothing to fear, people. Tickets for the Hook ’em & Cook ’em event here.
• Southampton Hospital is now officially the Stony Brook Southampton Hospital. If you really like to see new signs unveiled, then watch the Sag Harbor Express’s video (from Monday) of the big event…
• In case you missed it, the diner formerly known as the Hampton Bays Diner has been purchased, according to 27East.com. It will not be a CVS. We don’t know what it will be yet. Might we suggest…a diner?
• Here’s news you can use. Apparently, people who close up summer homes always forget to turn off the water main, according to Chubb’s 2017 Homeowners’ Water Risk Survey. Water damage is way more common than art theft. Your Hamptons pad could look like this. So turn off the water.
On tap for the weekend…
• Winston Irie and the Selective Security Band will play lively reggae tonight at The Coast Grill restaurant in Southampton, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m…
• If you miss Studio 54 days, check out dance band Booga Sugar at Stephen Talkhouse tonight at 10 p.m., details here….
• If you like box art — by which we mean, old cigar or wine boxes being turned into art, not the box art on the front of a video game — then attend the Box Art Auction at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in East Hampton on Saturday, 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. The event benefits East End Hospice…
• All of the art is pretty much sold out, so go for the wine and cheese. The artist Andrea Kowch, who has been compared to Andrew Wyeth, is opening her sold-out show “Into the Wind” at RJD Gallery in Bridgehampton on Saturday, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m…
• And yes, more barn art: FolioEast presents the Barn Show at Studio 144, behind Golden Eagle Arts in East Hampton on Saturday, 5 p.m. to 7 p p.m.
Social Media Quote of the Day
“When life gives you lemons…we squeeze those lemons and make some delicious and organic acai lemonade.” — The Squeezery, an opportunistic juice bar (nothing wrong with that) in Amagansett, in this Instagram post.
Got a tip? Nothing is too great or too small. Trust us. Email email@example.com.